CATONSVILLE, Md. – The CCBC Cardinals softball team continued their hot streak on Thursday afternoon, sweeping the doubleheader against Rowan College at Burlington County right here at the Birds' Nest. The Lady Cardinals are now 13-1 in the month of April and sit atop of the NJCAA Region XX DII standings with just one week left in the regular season.
Game 1: Lady Cardinals 9 (31-8), Barons 3 (9-20). WP- Marissa Heuer (17-2), LP- Madison Petroski (0-2)
- The Barons got the bats rolling early scoring three in the top of the first.
- The Lady Cardinals responded quickly as Casey Turner drove in a run on a triple in the bottom of the first and came around to score on a wild pitch.
- Alexa Holderfield hit a towering shot down the left field line to tie the game for the Lady Cardinals.
- Jamie Smith drove a bases-loaded walk to give the Lady Cardinals their first lead of the game in the bottom of the first.
- Holderfield continued to rake with solo home runs in the second and the fourth inning to extend the lead for the Lady Cardinals.
- Casey Turner, Hailey Manning, and Holderfield collected an RBI each late in the game as the Cardinals won the first game 9-3.
Game 2: Lady Cardinals 10 (32-8), Barons (9-21). WP- Marissa Heuer (18-2), LP- Taylor Braun (2-3)
- Just like game one, the Barons put up a three-spot in the top of the first inning.
- The trends from game one continued for the Lady Cardinals, Casey Turner drove in the first run in the bottom of the first.
- Akirra Pullen drove in two in the bottom of the first to tie the game after one inning.
- The Barons responded with another three spot in the top of the second and they grabbed the lead again.
- The back and forth contest continued in the bottom of the third as Jamie Smith drew another bases loaded walk, Alleshia Pullen and Madeline English drew an RBI each as the Lady Cardinals tied up the game and then Turner drove in two on a double as the Lady Cardinals took their first lead of the game.
- Things remained interesting in the top of the third as Rowan College scored three in the top of the fourth to retake the lead.
- Marissa Heuer tied the game with an RBI double and then Smith drove in the game winning run in the fourth as the game ended after five due to lack of daylight.
- Marissa Heuer tossed 8.1 innings between the two games to lower her season ERA to 1.31, which is fifth lowest in NJCAA DII.
- Alexa Holderfield hit three home runs in the first game to increase her season total to 8, which is tied for the lead in the Maryland JUCO Conference along with fellow Lady Cardinal Alleshia Pullen.
- Casey Turner collected five RBI's on the day which increases his season total to 52, which is eighth best in the nation.
- Hailey Manning got on base six times on Thursday in increase her season on-base percentage to .571 which leads the conference.
The Lady Cardinals head to Frederick Community College for a doubleheader on Saturday afternoon before hosting Alumni Day on Sunday right here at the Bird's Nest.