FREDERICK, Md. – The #5 seed CCBC Catonsville Cardinals' pitcher Travis Weaver struck out 13 batters on Friday afternoon, going toe to toe with the #1 seed and host Frederick for 7.2 innings, matching zeroes on the scoreboard. The Cougars finally broke through with their only run of the game with two outs in the eighth to win 1-0 in the first round of the 2019 NJCAA Region XX DII Baseball Tournament. The Cougars advance in the winner's bracket, while the Cardinals fall to the loser's bracket and will face Garrett College in the first elimination game on Saturday afternoon.
LINESCORE: #1 Cougars 1, #5 Cardinals 0. WP- Brayden Coe (8-1), LP- Travis Weaver (5-8)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first scoring threat against Travis Weaver came in the bottom of the second for the Cougars, when they had runners on second and third with just one out, but Weaver struck out the next two batters to keep things scoreless.
- Brayden Coe was throwing a perfect game for 3.2 innings against the Cardinals, before Moises Aristy Jr. singled for the first Cardinals' baserunner of the game.
- Julio Aguilar Yon followed up the Aristy Jr. single, with a single of his own, but the Cougars got a groundout to end the top of the fourth.
- The Cardinals had runners on first and second with one out in the top of the sixth, but Coe got the next two batters to end the inning as both pitchers continued to dominate.
- The pitchers' duel continued into the bottom of the eighth with both teams still looking for their first run of the game.
- In the bottom of the eighth, the Cougars had runners on second and third with two outs in the inning and a bloop single to center field by Connor Hanafin scored the lone run of the game for the Cougars.
- The Cardinals got the tying run on second on a one-out double by Julio Aguilar Yon in the top of the ninth.
- Easy Goita, representing the go-ahead run got on base via a hit-by-pitch, but Brayden Coe got a game ending double play to finish his complete game shutout.
- Travis Weaver struck out career high 13 batters in the game, his previous high was seven, which he reached four different times this season.
- Julio Aguilar Yon was the lone Cardinal with multiple hits in the game, as he had a single and a double in the game.
- Both starting pitchers tossed a complete game for their respective teams, with Weaver tossing eight as the game ended in the middle of the ninth.
- This was the third straight game for the Cardinals, where their starting pitcher struck out at least 12 batters in the game.
- Tyler Green fanned twelve in the first play-in game on Tuesday against Allegany College of Maryland, while Kieran Garner struck out 17 in the second play-in game of the day against Montgomery College on Tuesday.
- Garner finished just one punchout shy of tying the school record of 18 strikeouts in a game, which has been done twice previously in school history, Ernie Brown in 1990 and Bryan Mosser in 2001.
- The Cardinals will have their backs against the wall the rest of the weekend as they take on Garrett College in the first elimination game on Saturday. The winner of that game will take on the loser of the first game of the day between CCBC Essex and Frederick in the final elimination game of the day. The game between the Cardinals and the Lakers is slated to begin approximately at 1 PM.