CATONSVILLE, Md. – The CCBC Cardinals baseball team scored six unanswered runs at one point in the game on Wednesday afternoon, but cross-county rivals, CCBC Dundalk rallied late to down the Cardinals 13-11, this game was the make-up from the postponed game on March 7th. Hunter Todd had a career game driving six runs, but the Lions scored six of the last seven runs of the game to split the season series against the Cardinals.
LINESCORE: CCBC Dundalk 13 (8-22, 6-14), CCBC Catonsville 11 (21-20, 12-9). WP- Creed Mourey (2-4), LP- Jackson Campbell (0-2), SV- Joe Rubalcaba (1)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Lions jumped out to an early lead scoring three in the top of the first.
- The Cardinals followed it up with four in the bottom of the frame including a two-run double by Julio Aguilar Yon.
- Despite the Cardinals taking the early lead after the first inning, the Lions did not go quietly in the second inning, adding three runs to retake the lead.
- Hunter Todd launched a three-run home run for his third of the season in the bottom of the second to tie the game again.
- Brandon Denis drove in a run on a SAC-Fly in the bottom of the fourth to regain the lead for the Cardinals and the Todd drove in two in the sixth as the Cardinals had a 10-7 lead going into the seventh.
- The Lions rallied again in the seventh inning plating two runners to pull to within one and then retook the lead in the eighth scoring four going into the bottom of the eighth.
- Dwayne Thomas got the rally going for the Cardinals in the bottom of the eighth, hitting a solo shot to right field, his second of the season, but the Cardinals could not get the game-tying run across and fell in this Battle of I-695.
- Hunter Todd collected six RBI's increases his season total to 29, which is second on the roster.
- Trevor Smoot started the game for the Cardinals, tossing four innings, giving up five earned runs.
- Julio Aguilar Yon drove in two runs in the bottom of the first, he has picked up at least one RBI in the last four games.
- Tyler Green came into the ninth inning and tossed a shutout inning with three strikeouts to increases her strikeouts per nine innings to 10.65, which leads the team among qualified pitchers and seventh best in the Maryland JUCO Conference.
- The Cardinals and the Lions split the season series with each team winning the away game. The Cardinals are now 1-2 this against other CCBC schools in the Battle of I-695, with one more game remaining against CCBC Essex on Sunday afternoon.
- The Cardinals will host a tri-match against Community College of Rhode Island and Potomac State. The Cardinals will play Community College of Rhode Island in the morning game and Potomac State in the late game, with the other two schools playing the middle game. The next Region XX matchup for the Cardinals will take place on Sunday afternoon when they down I-695 to face CCBC Essex.