ARNOLD, Md. – The CCBC baseball team fell behind early but scored ten runs in the sixth inning to defeat Anne Arundel County College on Thursday afternoon. With the 13-8 win over the Riverhawks, the Cardinals improve their NJCAA Region XX record to 4-2 this season, which is fourth in the division.
LINESCORE: Cardinals 13 (14-12, 5-3), Riverhawks 7 (9-18, 5-9). WP- Trevor Smoot (2-1), LP- Blake Rebstock (1-3)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Riverhawks scored two unearned runs in the first inning to take a 2-0 lead.
- Aronne Dutton hit a solo home run in the fifth inning to tie the game at two, but the Riverhawks scored four runs in the bottom of the frame to take a 6-2 lead after five.
- The sixth inning was the big inning for the Cardinals as 13 batters came to bat and ten runs scored in a sloppy four error inning for the Riverhawks in the field.
- Easy Goita, Jackson Campbell, and Aronne Dutton collected an RBI each during the inning.
- The Riverhawks added two runs late in the game, but the deficit was too much to overcome as the Cardinals won their 14th game of the season.
- Tyler Green started the game for the Cardinals and was charged with just one earned run in 4.2 innings and struck out seven.
- Trevor Smoot came in to relieve Green and pitched 3.1 innings and gave up just one run, fanning four to get his second win of the season.
- Aronne Dutton collected two RBI's on Thursday afternoon, which increased his season total to 15, which is third on the team.
- He also hit his second home run of the season, which puts him in a five-away tie for second on the squad.
- Easy Goita collected three for five to improve his season batting average to .400.
- The Cardinals remain on the road heading down to College of Southern Maryland for a doubleheader on Saturday afternoon before returning to take on the Riverhawks on Tuesday.