CATONSVILLE, Md. – The CCBC Catonsville baseball team fell to cross-county rivals, CCBC Essex on Thursday afternoon right here in Catonsville. The Cardinals dropped this one 11-7 to fall to 11-11 on the season, while the Knights improved to 5-11 on the season.
LINESCORE: Knights 11, Cardinals 7. WP- Patrick Barrett (1-3), LP- Travis Weaver (2-4)
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The first batter of the game, Nolan Watson gave the Knights an early lead with a solo home run.
- Travis Weaver recovered from that early blemish to give up just that one run in the inning.
- The Knights scored two unearned runs in the third and then Armando Prieto hit a two-run home run to give the Knights a commanding 5-0 lead.
- Jalen Bowen scored in the bottom of the third to open up the scoring for the Cardinals to cut to within four.
- Prieto hit a three-run home run in the seventh, his second of the day to give the Knights a 10-1 lead.
- Things got interesting in the bottom of the seventh as the Cardinals scored six in the inning.
- Easy Goita, Trevor Smoot, Andrew Caccamisi, and Hunter Reeling picked up RBI's in the inning as the Cardinals came within three.
- Prieto hit his third home run of the game in the ninth to put a exclamation point on his performance as the Knights went on to win 11-4.
- Weaver gave up only two earned runs in his six inning start while striking out three as he fell to 2-4 on the season.
- Smoot picked up two RBI's to increase his season total to eight
- Brandon Denis went 2-2 after coming in the seventh inning as a pinch hitter
- The Cardinals head on the road for their next six games beginning with a trip to West Virginia to take on Potomac State College on Saturday.